Monday, July 9, 2012

What Would We Do Without?

I've come to the conclusion that I really don't ever have to shop again. I have been the consumate consumer at Goodwill for the last so many years, and before that, I could find my way through my favorite thrift shops with the ease one only attributes to unadulterated familiarity. These days I find myself looking at items I have purchased and ultimately worn with a fresh, altered eye.  What if I were to cut this, remove that, shorten the length, lengthen these shorts...you get the picture?

 I find myself in possession of laces and handwork that I've been collecting for over thirty years, and now I've taken a pledge to use them as jazzy accessories to my otherwise drab garments.  The amount of lace and crochet I am dealing with is almost obscene.  I'm not sure I can climb this mountain, but I like a challenge! Why should an estate auction make money from my beautiful collection when I am perfectly able to put these purchases to good use.

 I have a few designs in mind already.  My first creation seemed simple at first, but in fact, I have only gotten to first base, so to speak. It's a denim jacket that I've altered by cutting the sleeves so that they are just below elbow length. The back of the jacket has a lace inset, and I'm playing the design on the front by ear.  Sometimes I have a tendency to overdo; I don't want that to happen here.

I  cut out the back of the jacket and pinned in the crochet piece. It is a perfect fit between the yoke and the band at the bottom. The sleeves have been cut but not finished. Stay tuned for the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment